Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Trash to Treasure: Green Onions


Did you know you can grow green onions from the bulbs you would normally throw away? I have garlic(on the left) and onions on my windowsill and both are doing very well.  I was pretty skeptical, but today I "harvested" about 1/3 cup, just about what I could buy at the store. I left the stalks in the jar to see how much more I can get from them. I froze the onions in a baby food jar for later.
I've read that you can cut off the garlic stems just like the onions and use them in place of garlice cloves, or you can plant the cloves in soil, cut off the green tops, and that the clove will use its energy to grow a new head of garlic. Pretty interesting. I will have to get some soil and see if it's true.

Not bad for free. And they taste great.


No comments:

Post a Comment