Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap

There are fewer things I feel better about making for my home than laundry soap. I love that I can produce something that will last a long time and that actually does a really good job of getting our clothes clean. I use it for everything- even cloth diapers. It takes some work, but it really is worth it to be able to keep from literally pouring your money "down the drain."
While store-bought soaps can smell very nice and sometimes you might be able to get a good deal, I like having the ingredients on hand for loads (no pun intended) of laundry soap that is very cheap to make and isnt mostly glycerin, water, and fragrance. If I ever need more, I just make more. Its something the kids like to help with and it gives me a happy feeling inside of providing for the needs of my family.
I use the same recipe the Duggar family uses for liquid laundry soap, only I take it one step further. After the soap has cooled in the bucket overnight, I carefully put it through my blender so I end up with a nice, rich, consistant soap that easily pours into the waiting soap bottles.And it is easier to pour into the little cups when I am ready for it.

Duggar Family Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap:

4 cups water
1 bar of Fels Naptha soap, grated
1 cup washing soda
1/2 cup borax
*I also add about a 1/2 cup of oxyclean to the bucket to help with stains, etc
*glycerin

heat water in saucepan and melt grated bar soap- watch it as it can bubble up and run over if you arent careful.

fill a 5 gallon bucket half way with warm water, add melted soap, soda, borax, and oxyclean(if using) . Add more water until bucket is full. Adding  a few teaspoons of glycerin helps with the consistency.

cover and leave overnight until soap is gel-like on top. At the bottom it will still be watery. Break up the soap and mix with paintstick, etc. Carefully pour into blender cup if necessary, then into empty laundry containers or whatever you want to keep your soap in.

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to try this!
    Where do you get the ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walmart or Price Chopper in the laundry soap aisle. I just made another batch- the last one I made was in August. So 5 gal lasted me 6 months and cost about $1.75

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get out of town! That would save so much $$. My mom doesn't think I can do this. I'm going to make her some, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did it! Finally! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete