Pages

Monday, January 21, 2013

Pizza Dough

Yesterday was a weird day. My lovely little girl was sick so we and The Babe stayed home while The Husband took the other boys to church. We got Mexican for lunch, and I wasn't sure what to make for dinner since TH had to go into work last night. I knew I wanted to make something from scratch though. I really enjoy cooking now more than before. I love making real food from basically nothing, from just flour and sugar and salt.

I did a quick google search, "baking from scratch" and found this cute blog.

Her recipe for pizza dough sounded easy and fast- only about a 30 min rise. I could do that. I ended up using half the dough for our dinner, and freezing the other half. This made a really thin, crispy crust that was so good. I've never been able to make a crispy crust. I was really happy how this turned out.Next time I will press it out instead of using the rolling pin to see how it turns out as a thicker crust.

*I also baked the crust for about 6 minutes or so before adding sauce and toppings, just to see what would happen. I think that may have helped it to be crispier.

Never Fail Pizza Dough

2 cups plain flour
1 cup of warm water
1 sachet of instant yeast
1 teaspoon sugar

Place yeast and sugar into a large bowl, pour warm water over and allow to sit in a warm place for around half an hour, or until yeast mixture has doubled or tripled in size. Add flour and mix with an electric mixer {dough hook attached} or slowly by hand or until combined and the dough starts to form a ball. Allow dough to rise in the bowl covered with a clean tea towel in a warm spot for around half an hour {more is better}. Scoop dough out onto a well floured bench top and knead into a smooth ball, divide into sections and roll out thinly. Bake at med-high until crust is golden and cheese is melted.
*I always turn my oven to warm and let the rise happen in there. In our old, drafty house, it's hard to get anything to raise otherwise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment