Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

French Baguettes {and Sausage Bread}


This blog originated with my desire to learn how to make bread myself. I love bread of all kinds. So when I (used to) go grocery shopping, I would of course stop by the bakery and pick up a loaf or two of french bread.Its so versatile. But they always seemed to be very tough or stale and not very appetizing at all. And the price continued to rise for what appeared to be a smaller portion than before.
So this blog was started as a way to keep all these recipes I wanted to teach myself safe and also share them with anyone else who might like to learn some new tricks. In uncertain times, its always good to know how to do things yourself. Not that we are destitute mind you, but a penny saved is a penny earned, right?

Today I had no idea what to make for lunch. No. Clue. That hasn't happened since I started my Homemade Resolution at the beginning of this month. I finally decided on Sausage Bread because we had some leftover cooked sausage and a tiny bit of cheddar and pretty much nothing else in the fridge. Sausage Bread is The Handsome Husbands' family's favorite treat. They only eat it at Christmas and it's very, very good. But, they make it with Pillsbury French Loaf dough you get in the can. Which was certainly not in my fridge this morning.


So I used this recipe for crusty french baguettes I found the other day. This is actually the second time I've tried it and this time I nailed it. Crusty on the outside, soft  and not doughy on the inside. I made 2 smallish baguettes and one large loaf of Sausage Bread with this recipe, which didn't last long at all.

Quick & Crusty French Baguettes
  • 2 cups very warm water
  • 1 packet yeast
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3-4 cups flour
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  In a large bowl, whisk together the warm water, yeast, and sugar.  Set the bowl on top of your preheating oven for ten minutes.  Stir in the salt and add the flour a half-cup at a time, until the dough becomes soft but not sticky.  Knead the dough until elastic.
Cut the dough into four even pieces.  Roll each of them into four long, thin ropes.  Twist together two of the ropes to form one loaf.  Twist the other two ropes together to form a second loaf.  Transfer both onto a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
You can now bake the loaf right away (if you’re in a hurry) or allow it to rise for an additional 15-30 minutes on top of your warm oven.

Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until bread is golden brown on top and sounds hollow when you tap it.

I also did an egg wash to help it brown up a little and to make it a little more crunchy on top.

And here is the recipe for Sausage Bread:

Divide the dough in two parts. You will only need one for this, it makes a large loaf. Cut the dough in half.for the top and bottom.


 Spread the bottom part out on a cookie sheet and press with fingers until about 3 or so inches wide, and as long as your sheet. Spread out cooked sausage ( regular pork sausage, bacon and pork, or half and half) over dough and press lightly into dough to keep it from falling out. Sprinkle some cheddar cheese on top, then some more sausage. Lay the top dough over and pinch sides to seal.


Bake as directed above.

No comments:

Post a Comment