Pages

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Homemade Yellow Cake and Chocolate Frosting

Mmmmm. This is my favorite kind of cake. This week we celebrated my mom's birthday and I offered to make her whatever kind of cake she wanted, and she chose this kind. I love the kind in the box, but I didn't have any and I'm so glad I found this recipe because I will never make buy another one. The frosting is a little sweeter than the tub kind, it reminds me of the kind on doughnuts. Yum! I accidentally ate about 1/4th of a cup before I knew what was happening. The cake is a bit more dense but richer tasting than the box mix.



The Cake: ( Mix the following in a quart size bag and freeze up to 2 months, or leave out the butter and vanilla and store in your pantry.)

Note: the recipe calls for cake flour, which I never have on hand so I substituted 2 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour and 3 tablespoons cornstarch for the three cups of flour called for in the recipe. It worked beautifully.
Ingredients
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups cake flour
  • 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 16 tablespoons butter (2 sticks), cut into 1/2-inch pieces and chilled
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Directions
  1. Process sugar, flours (or flour and cornstarch if making the substitution for the cake flour), milk powder, baking powder, and salt in a food processor for 15 seconds to combine. Add butter and vanilla and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal (you want this much finer than, say, a pie crust). Freeze the dry mixture in a zipper-lock bag for up to 2 months or use immediately.
  2. To make the cake, adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour your pan of choice (see the note above the recipe).
  3. With an electric mixer, beat the prepared cake mix, 1 1/4 cups warm water and 2 large room-temperature eggs until the mixture is smooth, about 2 minutes. Scrape the batter into the prepared cake pan(s) and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25-27 minutes for two 9-inch layer cakes. See the note above the recipe for alternate cooking times with other baking pans. Cool the cake(s) in pan(s) for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Cool completely
The Frosting: Chocolate Buttercream Frosting from Food.com

6 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 2 2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 cup cocoa
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
    1. Place butter in a bowl and beat until creamy.
    2. Add sugar and cocoa, mixing well.
    3. Stir in milk in portions, stirring each time.
    4. Add vanilla.
    5. Spread on cooled cake or other items needing frosting
    I also added a bit of flour to help it stand up a little more- it was very soft and creamy. I probably could have let it cool in the fridge and gotten the same results.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment